Pages

Wednesday 1 January 2014

Beyond the Cake Tin: The Delicious Dozen Challenge!

Happy New Year! I hope you had a fantastic evening of celebrations to round off 2013. I had a lovely quiet evening with a few close friends celebrating what has been a caketastic, icing covered year. The end of my baking challenge yesterday was a huge milestone for me. I was proud, and slightly relieved to have made it through the 52 weeks and to be able to call myself an amateur baker. In the next few days I will try to think of the things I’ve learnt and the top tips I have picked up along the way so I can share them with you. For now though, seeing as it is the first day of the New Year I, like many others am looking forward to what’s to come...

Over the last few weeks many blog readers have asked me what I was going to do in 2014, was I going to carry on baking, take on a new challenge or just put my feet up for a rest? If I’m honest, my first instinct was to plan to just sit down with a nice brew but as I said in my final baking challenge post I am addicted, not just to the baking but surprisingly to the challenge as well. It has been great having a fun hobby all year that I can share with my family, friends and colleagues. 

So it was time to set a new goal, I’ve considered many options from knitting to letter writing, and reading the classics to exploring new towns in Scotland but in the end I came back to the kitchen. Sadly, over the past 52 weeks I have had to come to the conclusion that a girl cannot live on cake alone!!!!! I know, I know it is devastating.With this in mind I have decided that it is about time that I learnt to cook so I am setting myself The Delicious Dozen Challenge. Over the next year I am going to try to tackle 12 different areas/cuisines (one per month) so I can improve (or in some cases start from scratch) my culinary skills. 

After much debate, the 12 areas/themes I am going to attempt are (in no particular order);
  • Slow cooker dishes
  • Indian
  • Mexican
  • British classics
  • Legendary chefs
  • Chinese
  • Deep South USA 
  • Dinners on a budget
  • Italian 
  • BBQ 
  • Quick and easy meals
  • Brunch 
I have no idea how this is going to go but as with the baking challenge I am going to try to ignore the fear and do it anyway! I will try to make a few dishes each month and post the successes and failures as regularly as I can.

Wish me luck as I leave being the safety of muffins, scones and Vicky sponges....

Linds x


P.S Don’t worry, I am still going to bake, I can’t give it up now, I have icing running through my veins! So I will also try to keep you up-to-date about the bakes too.


No comments:

Post a Comment