Pages

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Week 49 – Yule Log

This week I made a festivetastic Yule bake which was the final part of the Thank St Andrews Its Christmas Day trilogy. We were invited to our good friends Paul and Fiona’s for a Christmas jumper party this past weekend and months ago they asked if I could bring a bake to add to the buffet. As many of the guests are blog readers and previous eaters of my bakes the pressure was on to impress!

Every year since I can remember we have had a Marks and Spenser’s Yule log in my family home over Christmas so I thought it was about time I tried to make my fave festive treat. In order to make something to wow our friends I chose a Mary Berry classic recipe from the BBC website.


Ingredients

For the chocolate sponge
  • 4 large free-range eggs (definitely make sure you use large eggs, I never thought this made any difference but as this sponge recipe has no fat or other liquid you really need all the egg you can get!)
  • 100g/3½oz caster sugar
  • 65g/2½oz self-raising flour
  • 40g/1½oz cocoa powder
For the chocolate ganache topping
  • 300ml/½ pint double cream
  • 300g/10½oz dark chocolate (around 35-40% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces (I did my usual and mixed half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate)
For the cream filling
To decorate
  • icing sugar, for dusting
  • a toy robin or sprig of holly (I couldn’t find an obliging robin so I found a little Merry Christmas tree decoration to decorate the log)

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a 33x23cm/13x9in Swiss roll tin, and line with non-stick paper or baking parchment, pushing it into the corners.
  2. For the sponge, in a large bowl whisk the eggs and sugar using an electric hand whisk until the mixture is pale in colour, light and frothy. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and carefully cut and fold together, using a spatula, until all the cocoa and flour are incorporated into the egg mixture, be careful not to beat any of the air out of the mixture. (This took quite a while to mix in all the flour and cocoa and I wasn’t sure it was going to work but if you persevere it comes together after a few minutes of gently folding it in).
  3. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread evenly out into the corners. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 8–10 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch (it really is quite a firm sponge because it is so thin) and the sides are shrinking away from the edge of the tin.
  4. Place a piece of baking parchment bigger than the Swiss roll tin on the work surface. Dust with icing sugar generously. Carefully invert the cake onto the paper and remove the bottom lining piece of paper.
  5. Cut a score mark 2.5cm/1in in along one of the longer edges. Starting with this edge, begin to tightly roll up the sponge using the paper. Roll with the paper inside and sit the roll on top of its outside edge to cool completely (make sure you roll the sponge as soon as you get it out of the tin...read more about this later!)
  6. While the cake is cooling, make the ganache topping. Heat the cream in a pan, just so as you can keep your finger in it. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until it is melted. Cool to room temperature, then put into the fridge to firm up (this icing needs to be very thick for piping).
  7. Uncurl the cold Swiss roll and remove the paper. Spread the whipped cream on top, and re-roll tightly. Cut a quarter of the cake off from the end on the diagonal. Transfer the large piece of cake to a serving plate and angle the cut end in to the middle of the large cake to make a branch.
  8. Put the chocolate icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe long thick lines along the cake, covering the cake completely so it looks like the bark of a tree. Cover each end with icing or, if you wish to see the cream, leave un-iced. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread on the icing and create rough bark texture with a fork. The ganache is runny enough to just spread on with a palette knife which I find much less fiddly than using a piping bag.
  9. Dust with icing sugar and garnish with fresh holly or a little robin to serve.

Well readers I admit that I had to make this recipe twice...because the first one was a DISASTER (said in Craig Revel Horwood’s famous Strictly Come Dancing voice!!). The first sponge batter felt a bit stiff when it was in the bowl and when it came to rolling it up it just broke up into 4 or 5 large pieces. I think it happened for a couple of reasons, firstly I used medium eggs and they really do need to be large, I think my scales were a little bit off so I put in a bit too much flour and I also left the sponge to cool for a few minutes before I tried to roll it up which really didn't help. 

All in all it was probably one of the biggest disasters I have had in the baking challenge to date which is saying something after 49 weeks. I will admit I did start to panic slightly, I felt like Mary B had let me down, we were due to leave for the party in just over 2 hours and I didn’t have enough ingredients to start again. Eeeekkkk!! Anyway, after a flying visit to the supermarket I was back in business and the second try turned out wonderfully rich, tasty and horribly calorific. I rolled the sponge and left it to cool while we popped out for our Christmas tree, creamed and iced it ready to dash off to the party where it went down a storm. Everyone, including Paul and Fiona’s one year old son Harrison and their sausage dog Sizzle loved it.

Claire, Fi, Sizzle, Lotte and Lotte's incredible light-up jumper

Harrison and James

Paul looks a bit angry at his Yule Log and the other Paul forgot to wear a Christmas jumper, but at least doesn't seem annoyed at the Log!!

I can’t say that that the sponge was much of a spiral inside, it was more cream and dripping chocolate ganache but people wolfed it down regardless. Other than that the second attempt came together well and after it was polished off we all proceeded to have a jolly afternoon of catching up in our Christmas jumpers.

I was really pleased that everyone liked the log but I was also glad that I made it a second time to prove that my hero Marry Berry hadn’t actually let me down after all. Phew! The Yule Log finishes off the TSAIC trilogy and was a delicious way to end to this extended celebration of my favourite holiday of the year.


The log before it was devoured!


Happy festive baking, 

Linds xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment