Pages

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Week 45 – Movember Moustache Biscuits

My workplace is a charitable place which is lovely but it means that we get quite a lot of department or ‘all staff’ emails about our colleagues’ latest charitable exploits. Last week two emails caught my attention, one which reminded me it was the start of Movember (‘an annual, month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of men's health issues, such as prostate cancer and other male cancers; and associated charities’ – thank you Wikipedia!!) and that a significant proportion of the men in the office would be sporting dodgy ‘mo’s’ for the month. The other was from our big boss Greg to say that his girlfriend Kasia was doing her bit for Movember by asking for sponsorship to go out running every day in November wearing a LARGE black stick on moustache! http://www.justgiving.com/Kasia-Czaplewska 

As many of you will know I was never going to commit to an exercise regime to raise money or awareness of a worthwhile cause but I can bake for it!!

This week myself and my baking buddies Nic and Karlie set about baking and decorating Moustache biscuits to sell in the office. BBC Good Food of course came up with a goods and provided us with an easy recipe to get started on the ‘mo’s’!


Ingredients


  • 250g butter, softened
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 300g plain flour (or 250g flour and 50g cocoa for chocolate biscuits)


Method

Mix 250g softened butter and 140g caster sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon, then add 1 egg yolk and 2 tsp vanilla extract and briefly beat to combine. Sift over 300g plain flour and stir until the mixture is well combined – you might need to get your hands in at the end to give everything a really good mix and press the dough together. The recipe actually stopped at that stage and we had to kind of guess the next steps!!

Roll out the dough and cut into biscuits shapes using moustache cutters (I bought a set of five from Lakeland, they are fantastic! But you could use other cutters of your choice obviously). Bake at 180 degrees for approximately 12-15 minutes. Ours took slightly longer but I think we were just a bit worried that they still looked a bit squidgy but they crisped up once they were out of the oven and cooled.

My lovely colleagues with their colourful moustaches!!

Some more colleagues....

Some more colleagues....

And some more colleagues....


Bakers and decorators Karlie, Nic, me and Dave

We made two individual batches of the dough, one plain and one chocolate. The plain dough was easier to work with and seemed to bake better, we were forced to eat lots of the chocolate mo’s ourselves because they broke in the oven or just after we took them out!!

We had a great time decorating the moustaches with icing, sprinkles, edible glitter and icing pens. The results weren’t exactly what you would call professional quality but we had loads of fun and a good catch up while we were doing it.

Most importantly the moustaches went down a treat with my generous, charitably minded colleagues and lots of them posed for photos with their new ‘taches before scoffing them.

This week’s bake let me combine some of my favourite things, baking, catching up with some of my best girl friends and doing something good for charity, all in all it was a perfect bake in my mind!

Have a tasty week x Linds x


P.S. I also made my fourth cake for Free Cakes for Kids Edinburgh, it was a Sonic the Hedgehog cake for a wee boy called Drakeo who was turning six. I got to meet Drakeo when I delivered it and he was so pleased with the cake he gave me a hug which was just lovely and made the 3 hours of baking and decorating worth it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment