Pages

Sunday 15 September 2013

Week 37 - Mississippi Mud Pie

This week’s bake was a full-on chocfest and luckily I had a band of merry testers to try out the results to let me know if it was up to scratch. This weekend I popped down to Kent for a family party with my husband Dave and when we arrived back this afternoon I set about quickly whipping up this week’s bake which was Mississippi mud pie. This is a recipe I have been wanting to try for a while, I found it back in July when I was looking for American recipes to try whilst we were on holiday in ‘the south’ of the USA with our good friends Karlie and Neil. It was about time that I finally got round to making it and letting them try it. This recipe came from the main BBC website (not my usual BBC Good Food site but it is still a fab resource) and was originally featured by Simon Rimmer on the TV programme ‘Something for the Weekend’. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mississippimudpie_93659

Ingredients

For the base
  • 300g/10½oz bourbon biscuits, crushed
  • 75g/2½oz butter, melted (I didn’t feel this was enough butter to make the biscuit mixture stick together so I added a bit more, probably about 95g in total)
For the filling
  • 85g/3oz dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids (I used milk chocolate instead because as you probably already know I prefer it)
  • 85g/3oz butter
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 85g/3oz muscovado sugar
  • 100ml/3½oz double cream
For the fudge sauce
  • 150g/5½oz dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids (I used 100g dark, 50g milk)
  • 150ml/5½fl oz double cream, plus extra to serve
  • 3 tbsp golden syrup
  • 175g/6oz icing sugar, sieved

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/365F/Gas 4.
  2. Mix the biscuits and melted butter together in a bowl. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 23cm/9in springform tin. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
  3. For the filling, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). I know this is probably a much better way to do it but I just put the chocolate and butter in the microwave on a low setting to melt instead.
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in the cream and melted chocolate mixture. Pour into the chilled springform tin and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
  5. Meanwhile, for the fudge sauce, heat all of the fudge sauce ingredients in a saucepan, stirring regularly, over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
  6. Spread the sauce over the cooled pie and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Serve with double cream. We were all a bit keen to try the pie so I didn’t really let the cake cool before adding the fudge and putting it in the fridge.

    Karlie and Neil popped over for the official taste testing and brought Karlie’s brother Tom and his girlfriend Josie with them too. Luckily they all brought their sweet teeth with them because while they all agreed it was a winner, it was SERIOUSLY chocolaty and sugary, so much so that Karlie had to stop eating for a break because she thought she might be getting the sugar shakes!! Everyone also agreed that even though it was already horribly calorific it was better with the suggested double cream served on top as well.
Josie and Karlie - pre sugar rush

Dave and Neil

Tom on his first of several slices...
Also, I think the fact that I didn’t actually let it cool properly before serving it was actually a good thing because the pie was still a bit warm and gooey in the middle which was a nice touch.

I would say if you are a serious chocolate lover and are looking for an alternative to a chocolate fudge cake then this is the pie for you. It certainly left my taste testers satisfied.

I might have to try something savoury next week to counteract all the sugar!

Have a yummy week x Linds x

No comments:

Post a Comment